The Eighth Annual GRADUCon was held on Friday, April 7, 2017 at International House.
GRADUCon is the University of Chicago's annual career conference just for graduate students and postdocs. It is a fantastic opportunity to explore careers in academia, industry, nonprofits, and government. The day includes panels, workshops, discussions, and the chance to talk one-on-one with employers and alumni about diverse career trajectories.
At GRADUCon 2017, more than 400 graduate students and postdocs were in attendance at UChicago’s largest ever career exploration conference for advanced degree trainees. 80 alumni and guest speakers discussed diverse careers in 15 different panel discussions on topics ranging from think tanks to data science, from liberal arts colleges to museums and more. 270 informational interviews were held on site, as alumni participants also volunteered to share advice directly with student and postdoc participants.
This year's event featured panel discussions and workshops on:
- Big Data in the Tech Industry
- Careers in Think Tanks
- Careers in Museums
- What is Data Science?
- Working at Liberal Arts Colleges
- Science Communication Careers
- Careers in Nonprofits
- Careers in Financial Services
- Careers in Entrepreneurship
- Industry Research Careers for Scientists
- Where Else Can I Teach?
- Careers in Local Government
- Careers in Consulting
- First Year as Faculty (Humanities/Social Sciences)
- First Year as Faculty (STEM)
- LinkedIn Best Practices
- Negotiation Best Practices